Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Taiwanese-style coffee and breakfast

The heat of the sun is already making its presence felt on this sunny morning in Taipei. I'm eating at a restaurant around the corner from my hostel which specializes in breakfast (apparently there are many such restaurants here). I've gotten on pretty good terms with the cook, who takes orders while flipping eggs and pieces of bacon on the grill. She is a short middle-aged woman. I can't see most of her face because it's covered with a hygienic mask, but I imagine by the way her eyes squint that she is smiling when I talk to her. The lady has pretty much figured out how to talk to foreigners with the least amount of stress on either side. This is an example of our conversation (in Chinese, of course).
Me: I want to eat egg.
Her: Egg sandwich? You want bacon?
Me: Correct. (In Chinese you don't say 'yes'. You say correct.)
Her: You drink something?
Me: One cup of coffee.
Her: Hot? Iced?
Me: Iced.
Her: Small? Big?
Me: Big
Her: You eat here?
Me: Correct.
The drink woman brings me a coffee, which is sweet and has some kind of flavored cream. At first this annoyed me (I usually like my coffee black) but now I've grown to like it.

No comments: