Sunday, November 2, 2008

Drum and Bass, Working-out, Tai Chi

As I said, I'm slowly moving from the whoa-I'm-in-a-new-country stage to the I-live-here-now-what-do-I-do stage. When you reach this stage in a foreign country, I've found the best thing is to meet new people and start new activities.
Last weekend, for example, I went to my first drum and bass event here. It was small, a home-grown scene of expat DJs and MCs with a combination of local and foreign clientele. As it was an old-school Jungle night a lot of classic tracks were played, and the audience, a mix of slightly drunk waiguoren and locals bobbed up and down to the music. It reminded me of some events I have participated in, both in Japan and France. I also got to meet some of the DJs and MCs, like Soul Basic, Mixter-T, and Coffeepot.

Another new thing that I've begun is sports. People who have known me since high school and college will be surprised to find that I am now slightly overweight. OK, not overweight exactly, but I do have a small 'beer belly'. So I've decided to restart working out. On Thursday I went with Raybuo (Chinese name), a Canadian classmate of mine to the school's gym, which cost $500 NT (about EUR 10) per month.

On Monday, I started a Tai Chi class. I spent a while researching the different schools here, and found this one to be steeped in Taoist tradition, which is what I'm looking for. The name of the school translates to 'Hidden Technique,' but ironically it wasn't that hidden, as it has a website and clearly visible sign outside the school.

3 comments:

DJ KILLER KELLER said...

Great stories and great pics too... I see that you're well in Taiwan. Here nothing much, except my ceiling collapsed in my kitchen because of a flood. Don't worry budy all work is taken in charge by my insurance company... But it's kinda shit because meanwhile I started to work with Agence France Presse. Yeah buddy i'm a big journalist now :-) This and that... I'm going to clean a bit, it's dusty everywhere. Oh... Badluck again, I lost my wallet this week. I hope nothing bad will happen next because I'm full of it. I'm fine this is what matters, the rest makes me laugh. I'm badlucked that's it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrien!
It's Fred from INALCO!

U always know and meet new DJ! it's the same like in France!
I happy for U!

Fred.

Adrien S said...

Hi Fred!
Nice to hear from you. And where are you now? Somewhere in China, or back in France?