Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Heat is Back

We had a mild winter, even by Taiwanese standards (it seldom dropped below 10 degrees C). It did feel cold at times though, as there is no central heating and I didn't have any space heaters.

Then, around March, came a few warm spells. It wasn't all good of course, most days were rainy and gray. Lately it's been alternating between rainy and gray, and sunny and mild.

Yesterday for the first time it felt almost... hot. Humid. I didn't need my big blanket anymore. In class we asked the teacher to put on the AC. Girls started wearing short shorts again (yay!)

Today I walked down a street near the night market and saw some cockroaches, trampled, on the ground. There were one or two survivors on the street (and probably 5,000 more wherever they came from).

Surprisingly there haven't been many mosquitoes so far. Knock on wood.

All this means the coming of summer. Sadly I don't think Taiwan has a stable Spring to speak of. It just alternates between too hot and too cold before becoming too hot for good. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.

This weekend will be my DJ debut in Taiwan as I have been invited to mix at a club by some ex-pat DJs/promoters. It should be fun.

2 comments:

megan said...

we were just discussing the hot/cold. wasn't it weird how yesterday felt so cold and today was so beautiful out?
i'll take it over the constant heat and humidity that i remember from june and july though. not looking forward to that.

Adrien S said...

Yes, I agree. I brought multiple layers of clothes to school this morning and by lunch time I was walking around in a t-shirt!