Saturday, May 30, 2009

The end, or a new beginning

You can tell it's the end of a semester at the Mandarin Training Center (MTC) just by looking at the practically empty library. Hallways are no longer filled with voices from all over the world. On Tuesday, the last day of class, two of my classmates were already out of the country (not that many but in a class of eight the difference is felt).

When I arrived in Taiwan, I was shocked to find out that I had to keep an 80% grade point average and a very good attendance record to keep my scholarship money coming in. I vowed to not skip class unless I was seriously ill or had an emergency. I have to say I felt really good on Wednesday when I picked up my report card (which I need to get my new student visa)- a perfect attendance record and grades all above 80%. Neither in high school nor in college did I feel the need to go to class every day or to get very good grades. I guess I'm growing up.

At the same time I did not get very good grades on my TOP test- kind of like a TOEFL for Chinese in Taiwan. I know even though I have studied a lot, I still need to practice more to get really good at Chinese.

That's why I've decided to stay here at least another year- to improve my Chinese and explore more of Taipei, a city brimming with noise and liveliness, and Taiwan, an exotic island with yet-to-be-discovered treasures. Next year will be different- I'll probably be more busy with work. But since I've already gotten over the 'adaptation' stage, I'll also be able to enjoy it more.

Now, in Taipei Taoyuan International Airport, I am about to go back to Japan for a couple of weeks.

No comments: